01

The World-Famous (to some people) online-novels of Lark and Musings, for you to sit back and enjoy in the quietness of your own home. Warning, all novels may contain traces of nuts, and insanity in large doses. (Reading hint: For more enjoyment and less wanting-to-die-from-how-stupid-it-all-is, L&M Blognovels are suggested read in smaller doses, rather than in one sitting).

Monday, December 05, 2005

Hitch

Sally stood beside the school fountain, trying to appear inconspicuous as she waited for Nicholas, and whistling nonchalently the theme song from BBC's Bob the Builder. Nicholas had promised to meet her here at 3:17 to let her know what was happening with the mole.
She checked her watch again: 11:52pm.

She was beginning to think Nicholas wasn’t coming.

Suddenly, without warning, and totally unwanted (like another Austin Powers movie), a figure appeared in the twilight, moving towards Sally’s location.
“Nicholas,” she hissed like a Parseltongue, “Is that you?”
“Well, I’ve been called a lot of things in my time, but I don’t rightly reckon I’ve been called Nicholas before,” said the figure as it stepped into the handy beam of moonlight, revealing a stereotypical janitor, with janitor hat and overalls, old man hat, pipe, and bucket-with-mop-and-squeaky-wheel.
“Now, young lady, what are you doin’ here at this time of night?”
“Oh, nothing,” Sally said, trying not to give away too much information to this possible suspect, “Just waiting for Nicholas Stabrinski to return from hunting down the mole-slash-stalker who has been trailing me. When he does that we are going to go together to defeat the evil nerd Harry who is holding my parents hostage (but not my cheesy, annoying, younger brother Taylor, who doesn’t feature much in this blognovel), so that I am forced to act ditzy and blonde and let him win the MATHS OLYMPICS!”

Somewhere in the distance, a Charger revved ominously.

“Aaaah,” the janitor said knowingly, “Stalker problems, eh? I had me a stalker once. It came right out with a quick application of baking soda, or was that chewing gum? I always seem to get those two a mite confused. But, anyways, I think there might have been a little hitch in your rendevous, I’m thinking.”
Sally sighed (again). “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Oh no! What if the mole has found him, or possibly what if some random bully shoved him in a locker! I have to go and find him!”
“Now hold it right there,” the janitor warned, “These dark school corridors are no place for a young lady to be wandering alone!”
“Right again,” Sally smiled, “Three more right answers and you win a new car! Do you think you could possibly come with me?”

The janitor paused, and puffed again on his pipe.
“Well, I was going to fish those rats out of the beef stew from the cafeteria… but they’ve only been there a week, so I guess they could marinate a little longer… Ok then, it’s a deal!”
“Thanks,” Sally said, “I feel so much safer wandering the school at night with a scary old guy I don’t even know.”

Previous Chapter ***** Next Chapter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home