01

The World-Famous (to some people) online-novels of Lark and Musings, for you to sit back and enjoy in the quietness of your own home. Warning, all novels may contain traces of nuts, and insanity in large doses. (Reading hint: For more enjoyment and less wanting-to-die-from-how-stupid-it-all-is, L&M Blognovels are suggested read in smaller doses, rather than in one sitting).

Friday, July 22, 2005

Chapter 12 - Chapter 12

It was an elephant. (That befell us.)

As I walked in the valley of the shadow of death, I heard a whistling sound.
"Is that you, Ned?" I asked.
"...slurp...No! Whistling when you're eating is very rude!....slurp..."
"Wow!" I exclaimed, looking around the remains of the fort, in the middle of the quarry. "This place looks like a gangster's paradise!"
The whistling turned into a trumpeting.
"I wonder what is making that sound!" I mused.
"Perhaps it's that elephant that's about to land on your head." Ned replied.
"What! That's preposterous! Elephants can't fly!" Ned was obviously out of his mind.
The trumpeting grew louder.
I looked up, just to make sure there wasn't an elephant above me. Nope. Just a big grey thing expanding in size very quickly.

The penny dropped. (Two seconds later, the elephant did as well, but by then I had leapt out of the way. Well, almost out of the way. It didn't land directly on me, it just grazed my leg. Well, more like it flattened my leg and buried it six inches into the ground. Ow.)
"Oy! What do you think you're doing, dropping out of the sky like that! You nearly killed me! Go back to Africa, you big brute!" I cried, my leg throbbing in pain.
"Actually, I'm an Indian Elephant." The huge grey thing mumbled, in an accent reminiscent of convenience store owners the world over. "And I was just heading back to my Maharaja in India (food fit for kings, all you can eat for $19.95) when the back door of my plane broke open! I slid right out into the sky!"
"Hmm. Perhaps they should get you to sit down before they tell you you're a Lotto winner... I mean before the back doors of the plane break open. You might have stood a chance then."
The elephant nodded mournfully. "I'm never going to forget that crazy experience. Not that I ever forget anything, mind you. You know, cos elephants never forget?"
I sighed. Stupid proverb saying thingy.
"Well, would you mind getting off me?" I asked desperately, knowing urgency was required if Ciola was to be saved.
"That's the problem." My new pachydermatous pal replied. "I've just got a bad case of indigestion and I don't really feel like going anywhere too soon. I get airsick, you see. The only thing to do is wait until all the gas gets out of me. Sorry if you're in a hurry or anything."
I groaned and held my breath. Where was Ned? Worst of all, where was Ciola?!

Previous chapter : : Next chapter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home