01

The World-Famous (to some people) online-novels of Lark and Musings, for you to sit back and enjoy in the quietness of your own home. Warning, all novels may contain traces of nuts, and insanity in large doses. (Reading hint: For more enjoyment and less wanting-to-die-from-how-stupid-it-all-is, L&M Blognovels are suggested read in smaller doses, rather than in one sitting).

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Vocal Training (get it? Its a play on words with the fact that he is 'The Voice'. Gosh I'm funny!)

"So," I say when I finally catch up with The Voice (and after I have spent a few minutes trying to catch my breath - too late, however. It managed to elude me, and made a break for freedom. Eventually it was cornered by the border patrol trying to cross into Mexico, and is now serving five years hard labour in a Texas Penitentiary), "Is now a good time to ask whats going on?"
"Yes," the Voice-man says, without elaborating.
I pause politely, waiting for him to continue.
When he doesn't, I ask, "So, whats going on?"
"I'm sorry, this isn't a good time," the man says, and continues walking.
"But, you just told me it was a good time" I argue.
"It was, then" the man counters like a kitchen bench, "but that was then, and this is now. Quit living in the past, man! You're so last minute!"
I sigh for what seems to be the millionth time today.
"Well, can you at least let me know the next time it is the right time to ask what's going on?" I ask.
"Certainly," the man promises, as he approaches a typical dumpster, and pushes it aside to reveal a typical hidden staircase descending into what appears to be a typical secret hideout.
"Also," I continue, feeling that I might possibly be on a roll now, "Could you tell me your name? Narration is a lot easier if I don't have to keep referring to you as 'The Voice', 'Voice-man', or 'Short and chubby' all the time."
If Short and chubby is offended by me calling him Short and chubby, he ignores it.
- Wow, with that poker-face he should be a spy... oh, wait, he probably is...
"Fine," the man says, "My name is Melvin Ertnik."

Just a brief pause here in the flow of my flashback. If you paid any attention to the first chapter of this story, you would have noticed three things right about now. 1) Melvin Ertnik is going to end up racing across the Utah Bad-lands in a jet-powered hovercraft with me, 2) Melvin Ertnik wears a toupee (and he accused me of living in the past!), and 3) Melvin Ertnik will at some point in this story lose the ability to speak in any language but ancient Gaelic. How could this be? you may be asking yourselves. Well, don't panic, it doesn't happen just yet. I just thought I'd let you know that it will happen so that you don't think my memory is playing tricks on me by having him speak in English. Okay? You all settled then? Alright, back to the story...

Previous Chapter ***** Next Chapter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home